When was the last time you spent a little time to refresh your CV? Last month? Last year? Ten years ago?!
With changing trends and fashions, come challenges for all of us – large and small! Not only must businesses make sure they keep up to date with the latest marketing techniques. As individuals, we too must change and adapt to the world around us. Keep up or be left behind!
Some recruitment and career commentators have suggested that it won’t be long before the traditional CV is obsolete. Replaced by LinkedIn (and others), your job history and references will soon be a living digital record. Until then, however, we should make the most of the traditional CV format until it is gone forever.
Here are a few way you can refresh your CV:
- Demonstrate your individuality! Show what you have achieved individually which may set you apart from anyone else.
- Don’t over complicate it! Simple fonts and layouts are the way forward here. As much as you like those more exotic fonts, they are probably best left off your CV.
- Spell check, grammar check, fact check! Make sure everything on your CV is accurate and presented without spelling and grammatical errors.
- Have a plan! Decide on how you are going to organise your CV and keep to it. Having a structure ensures you keep everything you need on your CV and everything unnecessary off it.
- Keep it updated! None of the first four points will count for anything if your latest employment and achievements aren’t listed. Have an up to date CV ready to go, just in case that perfect role comes along.
Following these five steps religiously will help you prepare for any career eventuality.